LFP Project News
- 10/8/2012: Cure Violence, formerly CeaseFire, explains why adapters should show fidelity to their model
In a blog entry on their new website, CureViolence.org, Josh Gryniewicz explains how successful replications of the CeaseFire model have stayed true to their model.
Read the blog entry.
- 06/25/2012: "Changing the Mormon conversation on homosexuality"
Washington Post article highlights the publication, "Supportive Families, Healthy Children: Helping Latter-Day Saint Families with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Children," co-authored by Dr. Caitlin Ryan, Director of the LFP Family Acceptance Project and Bob Rees, Ph.D, former Mormon Bishop.
Read the article.
- 05/17/2012: Connie Siskowski of Caregiving Youth named a 2012 CNN Hero
"Everyday people changing the world" is CNN's description of their honorees. Connie, whose organization helps young people who have to care for an ill or disabled family member, is part of the Championing Children category.
View the video.
- 05/16/0212: LIFE Plus featured on Fox12 News Oregon
"LIFE after prison: Class teaches skills for post-release success" spotlights this project's educational program - Oregon's "first and only of its kind."
Watch the video story.
- 05/14/2012: Latino Health Access CEO America Bracho part of HBO documentary
The four-part HBO Documentary Films series, "The Weight of The Nation" explored the obesity epidemic in America. America Bracho, former LFP grantee and National Advisory Committee member, was interviewed in the Part 1 segment, "Consequences."
Watch the series.
- 04/11/2012: IMPACT:Ability highlighted on NPR radio in Boston
Program that trains physically and intellectually disabled teens to resist abuse was featured on NPR's WBUR.
Listen to the interview.
- 04/03/2012: Power Up, Speak Out! student shares what a healthy teen relationship should look like
Listen to this 8th grader's description on a KURL8 News report on bullying.
Read the story.
- 02/24/2012: Spreading the power of information to immigrant communities
New video from The Puentes "Bridge" Project where trained Community Ambassadors bridge the cultural and language gap in SC.
Watch their video on unitedsc.org.
- 02/23/2012: $10 million federal grant to replicate In SHAPE
Fitness program for persons with persistent, severe mental illness will replicate across community mental health centers in NH.
Read the story on The Huffington Post.
- 02/22/2012: President Obama taps Dr. Kimberlydawn Wisdom as advisor
Chief Wellness Officer of the Henry Ford Health System appointed as a member of health advisory group.
Read the story on PRWeb.com.
View the announcement on whitehouse.gov.
- 02/03/2012: Cascade AIDS Project (CAP) becomes an approved charity on OR tax form
Anyone filing taxes in OR can donate to help fight HIV/AIDS by writing CAP #28 on line 68a of their return.
Read the press release on cascadeaids.org.
- 01/02/2012: "LHA ia a charity built on moxie and masa"
Story of Latino Health Access and it's founder, America Bracho, former LFP grantee and National Advisory Committe Member.
Read the Los Angeles Times story.
- 12/07/2011: Confronting Unemployment
Neighborhood centers launch Career Support Network to prevent health-related job loss for low-wage workers.
See Philadelphia Inquirer story.
- 12/02/2011: Senator Says Children Exploited
Calling human trafficking modern slavery, Florida Sen. Rubio visits Kristi's House.
Read CBS News report.
See the NBC 6 video.
- 12/01/2011: Running to Achieve Life Goals
Philly Health Watch cover story highlights recent marathon experiences of Students run Philly Style.
Read "Meet David & Nona."
- 11/11/2011: See this Inspiring Movie
Critics pick documentary on LFP project CeaseFire as it opens around the U.S.
View scenes from "The Interrupters."
Read recent reviews in the Columbus Dispatch.
- 10/20/2011: Celebrating Solutions Award
Enlace Comunitario’s women’s program to prevent domestic violence receives national recognition as they embark on their LFP project Engaging Men.
Read the details.
- 10/18/2011: Women Leading Healthy Change
Former prostitutes at Off the Streets improve communication with health providers.
Read post on Soapb!x Cincinnati.
- 09/09/2011: The Family Acceptance Project highlighted in
Ladies Home Journal. Read "Gay Teens Bullied to the Point of Suicide."
- 07/28/2011: At the Movies
National acclaim for documentary on LFP project
CeaseFire. See "The Interrupters" at a theater near you! Read rave review in NY Times. View trailers.
- 06/07/2011: Out of Prison, Into Business
Women in the LIFE Plus project become skilled entrepreneurs. Listen to NPR's Morning Edition.
- 04/18/2011: One of Our Heroes
Martha Ryan once ran the Homeless Prenatal Project out of a closet. Now they serve 3,000 families annually from their 3-story building. Read her story in People.
- 01/12/2011: Corporate Sponsors
Students Run LA set an exemplary pace in attaining
corporate funding to support the high school marathon-training program. See Nike's video.